Sunday, September 28, 2014

Introduction, Triathlon Experiences & Goals

Hello everyone! I'm starting this to give myself somewhere to write about my triathlon goals and accomplishments. I'm a beginner triathlete and hope that someone at least gets some inspiration from this. I'm planning on attempting to post shortly after my workouts while my thoughts on it are still fresh, but no promises as that pesky thing called Life regularly interferes with my plans.

This past June I signed up for my first triathlon, the Matt Mason "Cowboy Up" triathlon, which took place at the beginning of August. I trained hard all of July, but unfortunately the triathlon ended up being cancelled the day of due to inclement weather. Something about not wanting us to swim in the lake while it was lightning. Psssh. Whatever. The fish manage just fine during lightning storms. (Sarcasm here if you can't tell - canceling was the right move given the conditions).

I was quite disappointed when it was cancelled and really fell off the wagon with my training. I stopped most training activity for all of August and about half of September. Eventually the despondency wore off  and I came to the conclusion that I'd pretty much wasted all the work I put in during July.

So, a few weeks ago I started training again. It hasn't been easy, but if it's done one thing it's proved to me I can do almost anything I can set my mind to. The biking has been horrible recently, but my Garmin tells me I'm getting better, and that's the goal.

I ended up taking this weekend off. I'd planned on 12.5 miles on the bike followed by a 3.1 mile run, but I was exhausted all day Friday for no reason which is a hallmark of overtraining, so I decided to back off a bit in hopes of staving off injuries or sickness. I ended up digging out a dead tree and planting a new one in its place instead of doing any actual "training" this weekend.

My next planned triathlon is at the beginning of March 2015 (not sure of the exact date yet as registration is not open yet). It's an indoor triathlon held at a gym in Overland Park, so no chance of this one being cancelled! It's a slightly abbreviated Sprint distance (500 yards swimming, 10 miles biking and 3 miles running; a standard Sprint distance is 750 meters swimming, 12 miles biking and 3.1 miles running). The swim portion is done in a standard lap pool, the biking portion on stationary bikes and the run on and indoor track, so I'm hoping this one will be a good first race.

I'm also planning on doing the Sprint Kansas City triathlon in May of 2015, as well as the Matt Mason triathlon again that August, which is also a Sprint distance. I'm also planning on doing one Olympic distance tri at the end of August/early September, I'm just not sure exactly which one yet. In June of 2016 I'm planning on doing the Oread Half-Ironman in Lawrence, KS. I'm hoping to do a full Ironman sometime in the latter half of 2017, but it's definitely something I have to work up to as a full Ironman is 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking and 26.2 miles of running.

As this blog progresses, I'll keep you updated on my training exercises as well as how my races go, once I get to that point. I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment