Sunday, April 5, 2015

Getting Back at It

I know it's been awhile since I've posted here. I've been on a pretty steady diet of 50 hour weeks at work since last October, so when I was working out, by the time I got home from work and finished my work out, it was time for dinner, and by the time I finished dinner I would forget to write up a post about my workout.

Thankfully the overtime has cooled some - we're now on an alternating 40 hour week/50 hour week schedule, which is actually quite nice. I get off "early" one week, but get the extra money from ten hours of time-and-a-half pay the next week, so it's a medium I'm currently happy with.

That being said, I doubt I'm going to try to update here daily anymore. Part of my problem with updating earlier this year was that I didn't want to make a 25-word post that basically said "I worked out for 45 minutes on the trainer tonight, and it went well." I always found writing those posts an annoying waste of time, and assumed anyone reading them felt the same. So, I think I'm going to try to post on Sundays with one big post that sums up the week's efforts.

Of course, if I do have something to say outside of my workouts, like race write-ups or equipment reviews, I'll write those when I can and throw them up here outside of the once-a-week format. Now that it's finally getting warmer outside, I can start biking outside again, something I'm very much looking forward to. Not only do I have new pedals on my bike since the last time I rode it outside, I've got new tires and a set of clip-on aerobars that have yet to be tested on the road. Expect posts about all these things (except maybe the tires; we'll see if I can tell any difference and go from there).

As far as this past week goes, I was very lax with my training. I biked on the trainer for 45 minutes on Monday and got a very good workout in there, had Tuesday as a rest day (Tuesday are typically rest days for me), then ran six miles on Wednesday. I did nothing beyond that. I'd planned on swimming on Thursday, but decided mowing the lawn was more important (and it turns out, I was glad I mowed it Thursday; it rained on Friday, my back-up mow day). Friday is also typically a rest day for me, and Saturday I'd planned to bike 11 miles and run 7 1/2 miles, but the fairly cold temps coupled with the need to be done fairly early to run some errands and meet up for a friend's birthday celebration eventually convinced me to be lazy and play baseball on the Playstation instead. Sunday is usually a swimming day, but with Easter family plans I didn't even attempt to get to the pool. I don't even know if the Community Center was open on Easter or not; I knew I wasn't going to try so I didn't even bother to find out.

It was a bad week for training, but those are going to happen. Life has a way of interfering with our plans, so all I can do is accept it and do better next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment