Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Running Workout 1/14/15

After work tonight I got outside and ran 2 miles. I actually ran all 2 miles and didn't stop to walk once, which is a big achievement for me. I've done that on the treadmill before, but never outside, so getting it done was a big deal for me. I average a 12 minute per mile pace and finished in 24:02.

The first .3-.5 miles were the hardest. Once I got over that hump (and got my body warmed up) I just kept rolling. There were a few times I was really wanting to walk, mainly close to the top of the few big hills I climb, but I pushed through it and hit the downhill part before I knew it, where I was able to catch my breath.

The progress I've made in the past two and a half weeks amazes me. Three weeks ago I would never have even contemplated running two miles all at once. In fact, back then, my plan was to slowly ramp up my intervals, starting with running .3 miles and walking .1, then every week adding a tenth or two of a mile to my run portions. The thought of doing more than half a mile at a time seemed impossible and scary, yet today I ran 2 miles. It just goes to show what a little bit of working out can do.

I'm also amazed by how much better I can feel after a workout. After dealing with some stupid people at work today and annoying slowdowns in traffic on the way home, I wasn't exactly in a good mood when I walked in the door. After running, I was in a good mood again.

Tonight's run was a good one. I'm planning on 5 miles this Saturday, and I'm actually looking forward to it, something I never thought I would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment