Thursday, January 8, 2015

Treadmill Run 1/8/15

I did another 25 minutes on the treadmill tonight and got 2.214 miles in, slightly more than last Monday. I upped my speed by .2 MPH for the last 2 minutes. Next time I do a treadmill run, I'm expecting to up it for the last three minutes, and just keep increasing it by one minute each successive run.

Tonight's run was much easier than Monday night's, likely because I knew I could run for all 25 minutes because I'd already done it. To tell the truth, I could've keep going for more than 25 minutes, but I'm sticking to my training plan pretty religiously, and that called for just 25 minutes tonight. It's funny; three weeks ago, I would never have thought it was "just" 25 minutes of running. This is why I'm sticking to the training plan: I've done it this far and I'm already seeing huge gains.

Tonight was also strength night for me. My training plan doesn't call for any weight training, but I wanted to add some in. Some extra upper body strength will certainly come in handy during the swim portion of a race. Since I'm making the strength training up as I go, I'm starting out pretty lite - only two days a week (Sunday and Thursday). I bench press about 75 pounds in 5 sets of 10. I'm not entirely certain how much my bar weighs, but I've got 30 pounds of weights on it. I then curl about fifteen pounds, sticking with 5 sets of 10. Again, I'm not sure how much my dumbbell weighs, but I've got 10 pounds of weights on it.

Tomorrow is a swim day. With 35 minutes of swimming called for, it's the longest swim to date. I'm looking forward to it. I think cycling is probably my favorite discipline, but swimming is by far the one I'm best at, and I like the fact that it's so low-impact. Not entirely sure what my sets tomorrow will consist of, but I'm leaning towards (5) 200s on a 4:15, followed by (5) 50s on a 1:00, then a few 100s on a 2:15 or 2:30 to round out to 35 minutes. We'll see if that's what I end up doing or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment