Friday, January 9, 2015

Swim Workout 1/9/15

Did 1,500 yards in 35:13 today in the pool. It was a great workout, but man, did it kick my butt.

My first set was (5) 200s on a 4:15 interval. After that was done, I took close to 2 minutes of rest, then did (5) 50s on a 1:00 interval. I rested another 2 minutes, then did a 100, followed by a 150 after 20 seconds of rets to round out to 1,500 yards. I had initially intended to finish out with (2) 100s, but ended up deciding I'd rather add 50 yards to the end of my last set to get to 1,500 yards.

I think my intervals may have been a bit fast for my current fitness level. I only got roughly 10 seconds of rest on my last two 200s, and I literally got no rest at all going into my last 50. But it was good. The fast pace/low rest is a good way to get better, but I think next Monday will be a slow pace/long rest day just to help me recover from tonight's workout.

Tonight was by far the most taxing workout I've had since I started this journey. I can't say I'm entirely surprised that my most taxing workout came in the pool. I've swam for so long that my subconscious knows exactly what it's doing, even if I don't realize it.  I instinctively know just how hard to push myself without making myself so tired I can't continue. I haven't got that nice little instinct for running or cycling yet, so I tend to hold back a bit in both those disciplines because I'm deathly afraid of injuring myself to the point that I can't compete in my races.

That being said, I may have overdone it a bit tonight. My arms, especially my right shoulder, are quite sore. My shoulder is the most troubling - my senior year in high school I developed tendinitis in that shoulder and had to do nothing but kick workouts for 3-4 weeks, and I'm honestly worried about that flaring up again due to the repetitive motion inherent in swimming. We'll see how I feel after this weekend, but even if it feels fine I'm expecting Monday night's swim to be much easier to help ease my mind regarding this.

No comments:

Post a Comment